Saturday, October 27, 2007

Carter Caves

We just returned from a 36-hour vacation to Carter County, Ky. It's quite the vacation hotspot. We stayed in Grayson, Ky which is only about 20 miles from Ashland, where I was born and lived until I was 13. I should probably write about embracing my Appalachian roots vs. running from them, but I really only wanted to say that our cave tour guide was named Kenny McCoy. Someone asked him if he was the "real deal," to which he informed us that he indeed was a direct descendant of the McCoys from the Hatfield-McCoy feud. He then told us that a Hatfield worked with him at the park. "The feud was settled many years ago," he laughed as he moved on to explaining the difference between a stalagmite and stalactite. (T for tite = T for Taller. They come from the top of the cave down. Kenny didn't teach me this. I made this up as he was talking because I am a hopeless nerd.)

There is a great lesson about healing when you know that a Hatfield works everyday with a McCoy just a few miles from where they used to shoot each other. I'm not sure what the great lesson is, but there has to be one...

3 comments:

Tim said...

I went to Carter Caves one time as a Freshman at Kentucky Christian - a guy who lived down the hall from me nearly drown to death (or so it appeared to us at age 18).

I never went back - one of my regrets (but who really wants to drown in 45 degree water?)

lindamarie said...

I am seriously, no joke, related to the Hatfields and McCoys on the same side of my family. LOL

I believe there was a woman in our family tree who married one side and then at some point married the other side. I believe there were children involved which creates the relation to both sides of the previously feuding families.

lindamarie said...

I am seriously, no joke, related to Hatfields AND McCoys on my father's side of my family. I think there was a woman somewhere in our family tree who was married to one side and then at some point married the other. LOL