Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Practice of Christian Community - New Blog Series

I've been blogging for eight years now. In an effort to make the exercise fresh (and hopefully relevant) I tackled a ten-post leadership series this summer. Having a specific writing plan energized me and motivated me to take the time to say something of worth. I recently asked (via FB and Twitter) for some feedback on a new series. I had several responses, but a few in particular centered around the area of Christian community. Two emails came my way that I can only describe as "pleas for help" in terms of dealing with the challenges of leading others toward authentically living life together. It seems right to spend some time on this topic. I took the time today to map out the road we will travel. This is just the "table of contents" for now. I am on the verge of a two-week break from work, so I anticipate being somewhat inconsistent in posting for a few weeks, but I am excited to share the roadmap with you today. Here is where we will be headed...feel free to make suggestions for related topics to cover and I will try to work them in:

The Practice of Christian Community:

1. Community isn’t about what you want.

2. Community is about what God wants.

3. The Eschaton and the Acts 2 Community.

4. Beyond “small groups”: the quantity vs. quality myth.

5. Jesus said community = evangelism.

6. Loving “weaker” members.

7. Community as the skeleton for discipleship.

8. Group meetings: necessary but overrated.

9. Spiritual gifts in their proper context.

10. Shining a new light on Paul’s letters.

11. Why Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Life Together matters.

12. Being church vs. going to church.

13. What if what we used to call “church” is really para-church?

14. Attaining genuine community in a virtual age.

I look forward to the journey with you...

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Love it! Am excited to read the series. This is just what I need a little guidence in right now.

Shandon Belle said...

Dear Rebel, It would be extremely kind of you if you would post a link to/blogroll an Irish blog: www.catholicheritage.blogspot.com.

God bless you!

Maeve