Thursday, October 16, 2008

I've been thinking...

There's a lot of thinking involved in my job...you wouldn't think so, but there is. When I am not in a meeting, I'm generally expected to sit around and think. I normally love this. I love new ideas. I like to write, create, etc. Maybe it is simply the time of year we are in, but my brain is overwhelmed with things I am supposed to be thinking about today. This blog post is really nothing but a therapeutic way to try to release some thoughts, so feel free to quit reading if you have anything better to do.

Last night we launched The Stories of Genesis class. I was surprised, quite honestly, at how well it worked out. I told the story of Genesis 1-11, complete with my disturbing theories of what Ham really did to the drunken Noah. That took about 40 minutes, then the students were able to process the stories at round tables for about 45 minutes. There seemed to be a genuine energy in the room. Now would be a good time to start thinking about Abraham's story for next week...but I'll just keep wasting time with you and talk about...

this weekend. I'm up to teach the third installment of In God We Trust. I'm where I often find myself a few days out...with simply too much to say. The message swims around in my head for weeks or months, sometimes taking form a week out, but often stubbornly waiting to reveal itself until the last minute. I want to dive into the idea that the job of the church is to be the church. I'm also being pulled toward the Zacchaeus story. I need to think more about that...

but, alas, I'm supposed to map out the December teaching series today. We know the weekly topics, but I'm normally the one tasked to dive into each week and write a paragraph or two. That's what I should be doing now, but after staring at a blank screen for thirty minutes, I've decided to waste your time, my precious blog reader.

Some good news about future thinking...my fairy tale book has passed through the acquisition process at a publishing company. It needs some work, so I am taking vacation days next Tuesday and Wednesday to hole away and try to finish the project. I'm both nervous and excited about those two days. In the past, it has taken me a full 24 hours to de-fragment my brain when I take a study or writing break. I'm hoping that happens quickly so that I can push through and finish this project...I've been writing it for about ten years now as it is. It's time to finish it.

OK...I'm ready to work now. Thanks for listening. I'm off to think more...

6 comments:

j steg said...

The fearless series was great. I'd like to see more direct Bible teaching series like that on weekends at VCC.

I'm not sure you were actually asking for input on December series planning, but I put it out there anyways.

Jim said...

How about these ideas

Grandma was run over by a reindeer. Or pick up your elderly for once at the nursing home for the holidays.

We are donating the Vcc campus to the poor and we will be home church meeting in our homes in Janurary and all home meetings will be based on the 12 steps.

Family is what you make of it or Ditch your family for christian friends who treat you right during the holidays.

Lonnie Frisbee is really Dave Workman.

Unknown said...

It sounds pretty great Joe. If you are looking for other series to teach, may I suggest you check out these resources. It is all stuff designed to be interactive in the format you are using here.

Scott and Jess said...

Joe...Great news about the fairy tale book (hope you come up with a snappier title than that, though)! Can't wait till it's in Oprah's Bookclub. Don't worry about all the other stuff. You have a good 36 hours.

Sandy Maudlin said...

ANy illustrations in the works for your book? I keep imagining the pictures.

DanThoms said...

Yep, your thinking too much. Stop it... ok don't stop thinking altogether, that could be dangerous.