Friday, May 19, 2006

Jehovah-Nissi, Neurosis and I-pods

Six days left before the tour starts. Tonight is my last Lifelines meeting...I'll be teaching on Exodus 17-seeing Yahweh as the One who Fights For Us. Imagine the peace that would invade the planet if we trusted one greater than us to do the fighting. We can barely be trusted to love, how could we possibly be trusted to fight? This is generally why I am a pacifist...not because there is never a time for battle, but because there is no human being wise or loving enough to discern when that time is. At least I am not.

As I prepare to leave I am excited about performing and having a steady, good-paying job for seven weeks. I'm excited to spend time in new places with new people. But, I'm less than excited about leaving home for so long-mainly leaving Debbie and the boys, but also my work with Lifelines and in Hollywood. I'm auditioning very well this month and getting callbacks...you hate to leave when you are in a zone. See why this career path is so screwy? You hate BOOKING because you can't audition to BOOK the next gig...it's just dumb like that.

In other news...I now have an ipod which came with my new computer....as a result I have, really for the first time in my life, been able to actually choose a soundtrack for my life. I have found a few things about my musical tastes. 1. I'm a lyricist more than a musician. If I can't understand and connect with the lyrics, I tend to not care about the sound. 2. I'm very across-the-board in musical syles. For better or worse, here are the most common artists in my ipod: U2, Rich Mullins, Counting Crows, Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins, Billy Joel, Green Day, Mindy Smith (we went to college together), Bruce Hornsby, CCR, Bob Dylan, Norah Jones, Elton John, Indigo Girls, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Nirvana, John Mayer, Oasis, and The Eagles.

Guess I don't really rock too much...it is a little jarring when Green Day follows old blue eyes on shuffle...but it's me.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Hey Joe
There's no basic on your iPod! :-)

Safe journey, and I look forward to reading the adventures from your extended stay at the Hampton. :-)