Monday, June 15, 2009

A Decade

A decade ago I woke up, took a shower and got ready to go to work. I put on cargo shorts and a green t-shirt. (I've never really had to dress up to go to work.) As I was getting ready to leave I noticed that Debbie was sitting up in bed. She was having "funny pains in her back." Being a master of logic, I put a few things together and took her to the hospital to be checked out. Turns out my intuitions were correct. She was in labor. By the end of the that day, I was a dad. My young wife was a mom. And Elijah Christopher Douglas was our son.

We are celebrating today by getting a tour of the US Capitol Building. (He seems excited, though he is afraid we will just "look at a bunch of people typing." I'm a little worried be may be right.) He has requested California Pizza Kitchen for dinner. We're about as far away from California as you can get in the USA, but I think we have found one here.

All said, the last decade has been the best yet in my life. Happy birthday, Eli. Six more of these and your driving. Eight more and your graduating. Eleven more and your buying me a beer. But let's not rush to those birthdays. My personal experience is that ten can be even better than those if you give it a chance. We have 365 days of being ten years old together. I couldn't love you more or be more happy to be your dad.

2 comments:

Jon said...

You have a great looking family. Enjoy your vacation...and California Pizza Kitchen.

ylmurph said...

enjoy the typing...and your family.
You've got a great one.
The family...I was talking about.