Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Earth Day



Today is Earth Day...how sad is that? Mother Earth gets 1/365th of the year. I've been reading a lot of native american mythology lately. We have so much to learn from them about respecting creation. I'm a big fat hypocrite because I only recycle when its convenient, I drive an SUV thats out of alignment and I haven't planted anything since first grade...but we all pretty much suck at the whole "take care of the garden" mandate. Joseph Campbell says that Christians don't care about the earth because our creation story states that we are superior to nature. Nobody has taught me more than Campbell this year, but I have to disagree. Christians don't care about the earth because they think its not spiritual enough to worry about. They prefer Plato's physical/spiritual divide over Christ's hebraic harmony of Heaven present and yet to come...but they don't even know their doing that.



I'm gonna pick up a piece of trash tomorrow and feel better about myself.

No comments: