Saturday, August 10, 2002

Garage Sale Confessions



Today I woke up at 5:30 to sell crap that I do not need or want to people who either, like me, don't need it or, even worse, actually do need it. This morning I was a capitalist and tonight it feels dirty. I can't stop thinking about the parade of Mexican immigrants who paid one dollar for a grocery sack full of clothes that for some reason I felt as though I should not be wearing anymore. I want to track them down and give them their dollar back. After all that has been given freely to me, who am I to charge someone for something that I don't even want? Ultimately I have come to the conclusion that if Jesus had a ceramic bunny that I wanted, he would give it to me freely without demanding 25 cents...as i did.



Some of you will say that I am being dramatic or overly hard on myself. Maybe you are right, but I cannot get the words of the Master out of my head tonight:



"Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:30-31

No comments: