Friday, February 06, 2004

The Biz



Life is so much more than business. Business, however, is a part of life. I have started this second blog to keep a record of my journey as a professional actor. So...let's get caught up:



My name is Joe. I'm 30 years old, married with two kids. I live in Las Vegas. And I have no idea how I became a professional actor.



I graduated from seminary in 1995 and moved to Las Vegas to be a clergyman for the rest of my life. Somewhere along the way I grew disinterested in religion and church as business. If you are more interested in my faith journey and spritual quest, you'll wanna read my primary blog.



Early last year I began exploring acting in my free time. I took some improv classes with The Second City and The Groundlings. I landed a few interesting gigs including playing the role of Michael in Tony n' TIna's Wedding at The Rio.



As of this week, I have reduced my church work to 10 hours per week in an effort to make my living in acting and storytelling. I have no idea what is to come, but I am ready for the journey.



Today I met with an agent who "really liked me" and thought I was "unique and talented." She was however, "not ready to sign me" because "I don't know enough yet to be excited about being signed." Interesting. Truth is, I wouldn't have signed today anyway because I'm meeting with another agent next week. That agency is my first choice. So I am hopeful. The lady today did say she might call me if something comes up. She mentioned a show called Scare Tactics in which I would scare unsuspecting people...I'm thinking no. Improv is more fun when people know you are acting...



On the way back from that meeting I got a call from a dinner theater in town that might hire me to act on my off nights at Tony n Tina's. I'm currently working at TnT 3 nights per week and on a waiting list to go fulltime. This could fill in the gap until then.



I think you are up to speed now. Here's to professional pretending.

No comments: