Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter 08

It was a good weekend at VCC. Easter is a strange time for me. It's exciting because so many people come together. There's lots of energy and happiness - more smiles and handshakes than a normal Sunday. There are fond memories from childhood and Easters past - like Christmas but with less build-up and credit card purchases. That's the good stuff.

On the weird side, it makes me wonder why we as disciples put so much focus and energy into one weekend over another. It makes the faith feel a little event-centered and that freaks me out if I think about it too long. The older I get, the more I force myself to embrace that life is almost always more of a "both/and" than an "either/or." Life is organic, natural, free-flowing, and relational. But life is also organizational, ritualistic, traditional and, at times, predictable. I don't necessarily drift toward the latter as easily as I do the former.

But leave it to me to rain on an Easter parade. It was a great weekend and I love being part of this new community. Thousands of people celebrated the resurrection. Hundreds of people formally crossed a line of faith and began their journey with Jesus. It was great. If you want to watch it on the web, click here.

4 comments:

Helen Ann said...

I think I understand what you mean. The older I get and the more relational I become with Jesus, the less I really get into the set aside Holidays. I realize that they are man made and that God will not love me less or more if I do or do not celebrate Easter or Christmas. Not that I will stop celebrating those days. I think it's great that there are those traditional times in our calendar that cause us to really pay attention to God for day or two...Just that I dont think they are necessarily any better than any other day of the year...

Sherry said...

I just saw the video of the Easter service you all had and I thought it was fricken beautiful.

I think holidays are important because they are days where God is undeniably in our face or on our minds no matter who or where we are in life.

Just my two cents which is all I have to give today.God bless you all Joe.

reforming-emerging said...

I like having "Its about Jesus" Holidays. As you say, It allows the masses to be reminded of the creator. I even,for the first time, kinda did lent up to Easter. Scripture, prayer, and a bit of discipline was "good for the soul".
Hey Bro, my bags are packed, im ready for the road trip!
Grace and Peace....

Matt Olds said...

I hear that...but it's a thought I haven't visited in a while. Growing up 'in the church', I never understood why what we did & celebrated wasn't more a part of everyday life...why celebrate Christmas now...and not tomorrow?

Thanks for waking up that thought again.